Re: Q: Apt-get as reliable as dselect?

"Jonathan Gift" <jgift@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>I've been using apt-get to do my installs, taking its suggestions for
>additional dependencies, but have run into a few problems of late and was
>wondering if dselect was more thorough? Or is there no difference as far as
>what is checked installed?

They are equally as reliable, but check different things. dselect will
prompt you about Suggests:, and be quite insistent about Recommends:.
apt-get will ignore Suggests:, and I can't remember how it deals with
Recommends:.

When I'm not familiar with the recommendations and suggestions made by a
package, I tend to use dselect instead, as that way I at least get told
about everything relevant.