Re: Bastille-Linux and Debian

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 09:26:27AM +0100, m_g_m@gmx.net wrote:
> I'd like to know if Bastille-Linux (which was intended for Red Hat
> 6.x-Systems) works fine on Debian, too, if anyone has experiences with it already
> and / or if there's an equivalent for Debian aswell.
> What do you think/know?
> greetings,
> Michael

it would likely screw up your debian system.  i believe the consensus
is that you really don't need bastille on debian.  one of the main
things (last time i checked) that bastille does is remove stupid suid
bits (*cough* /sbin/dump) and do some silly permissions changes, like
changing /usr/sbin/adduser from 0755 to 0700, which is pointless since
anyone can download adduser from debian mirrors, and it only spews
errors when run as a normal user anyway.   Debian is already VERY
conservative about suid bits, there are not really many you would
bother removing except on extremely hardened systems (say a firewall)

other then that remove nfs-kernel-server, nfs-common, telnetd packages
and comment out anything you are not using in /etc/inetd.conf and run
/etc/init.d/inetd reload.

also disable portmapper, which is the only real daemon that is a pain
to get rid of on debian (no longer so on woody, yay!)  simplest option
is rm /etc/rcS.d/S41portmap.  which works pretty well (you do have to
rekill portmap on netbase upgrades but that does not happen too often)

also add:

## security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ potato/updates main contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-non-US/ potato/non-US main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ potato/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-non-US/ potato/non-US main contrib

to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
to get all the current security updates.  add non-free to those lists
if you have non-free in your other apt lines.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/