Re: Gnome: normal user, logout?

Moritz Schulte írta, 2000-10-31, 18:55-kor kelt levelében, ami 31 sorból állt:

>> I installed helix Gnome from potato CDs.

> Helix GNOME is not an official part of Debian, so it's not on the
> 'Official Potato CDs'.

Yes, you are right, it was on an Debian Extension CD...

> Do you get an error message when trying to log in as a user?

No. The login accepts my user login, there appears a Gnome logo,
and some icons are created...

After that appears a 'Hint-box'. When I close it, _everything_ is
cleared from the desktop, only the background remains... :(

Therefore I tried to login as root (to see what happens), and
everything works!

There was only a warning that 'be careful' and 'somehow Add Other User',
but I didn't find this info in the Help system (I could not search in
it, so I went through the Help).

>> - how can I add other user to Gnome?

> "to Gnome"? Users are added to the system, there is IMHO no special
> procedure to let users log in to GNOME.

So I can login to Gnome only as _root_ ? I can't believe...

>> - how can I stop Gnome? (it seems it always run after install...)

> There should be a point "logout" in you GNOME panel.

Sure, I already found it, but it puts me back to Gnome login...

Someone suggested to stop the 'gdm' program, maybe this will help,
I'll try...

The user-login is still a problem...

--
GYULAI Mihály   http://gyulai.freeyellow.com  Rejtő Jenő művei, Linux

Ki ez az árnyék, és miért követ mindenfelé ?