RE: [OT] is graphics acceleration/GL dependent on X11?

> From: Sean 'Shaleh' Perry [mailto:shaleh@valinux.com]

> On 31-Oct-2000 Krzys Majewski wrote:
> > Another graphics adapter question.  Under linux, are the
> drivers which exploit hardware acceleration dependent on X11?
[...]
> the drivers tend to be for X, however you could theoretically
> implement them otherwise.  GGI has done this before for instance.

 The Voodoo cards by 3dfx use the Glide library, and they (or at
least some of them) can be used with SGVALIB.

 There may be some hacks with the SDL library to get SVGA output,
I haven't really looked at that. But as Sean says, most of the newer
cards are focusing on X...

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248)377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

  Modern inductive method: 1) Devise hypothesis. 2) Apply for grant.
 3) Perform experiments. 4) Revise data to fit hypothesis. 5) Publish.