Re: Security of sudo [was: Re: /usr/bin before /usr/local/bin?]

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 10:50:17PM -0600, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> There's also the side benefit that you can give limited root access to
> people you only sorta trust with administrative duties, especially since
> you don't need to give out the root password anymore :)

its actually very limited what you can give a `sorta trusted' user
access to.  if say, vi, emacs or just about any other editor is given
a root shell is only one subcommand away, in vi i think its !/bin/sh

emacs its M-x shell-command

> sudo rocks, btw.  It should be standard equipment on any and all
> Linux/unix systems.  But only on OpenBSD is that so :(
>
> > Of course, I might have missed something somewhere... Anyone?
>
> What about the people who do something like this with their sudo entry:
>
> username  ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL
>
> Able to execute any command as root without giving any sort of
> authorization information...
>
> The power to do it is there.  Someone's bound to do it.

you can also set your root password null or add a line like this to
/etc/inetd.conf:

telnet	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/bin/sh	sh -i

or run things like:

$ su root
Password:
# lynx --source http://go-gnome.com/ | sh

whats the saying?  unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself.

personally i don't give myself any sudo privileges that can lead to
full root access.  i just won't have my user password be automatically
== root password.  now if i could configure sudo to require the root
password instead of mine for some/all commands that would be nice
since you get the limited cache unlike su -c.  but since i can't i
just use /bin/su -c and full su to root for maintenance.

and i always get rid of that evil group staff permissions on
/usr/local/* ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/