Re: Canon BJC-1000 problem - Finally Fixed! (inspired by Mike Soulier)

"loki" == loki  <eloki@dingoblue.net.au> writes:

> I agree, and I've been having the same problems.  Well technically a
> friend rather than me, but it's an odd problem.  I eventually
> wondered if it was a BIOS problem, and found that the BIOS had the
> parallel port set to an odd mode.. SPP or EPP is okay, but I think
bi-directional modes cause problems.  Setting it to a simpler value
> seemed to partially solve the problem (or maybe just change the
> error message ;)
> I think the first thing to check is whether or not your kernel is
> actually recognising the parallel port: check for an /proc/parport,
> and more specifically what it says in /proc/parport/0/hardware.

Hi, you'd probably forgotten all about this thread, but no! :)

Well, I finally got around to looking at this again, and found that my
BIOS also had some weird parallel port modes (ECP & EPP); I changed it
to 'normal'.  Don't know if that was causing problems, but it probably
wasn't helping.  And it works fine as 'normal' under Win95.

After booting Debian, in dmesg I get:

geldar:~# dmesg | grep parport
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
parport_probe: succeeded
parport0: Printer, Canon BJC-1000
lp0: using parport0 (polling).

However, there is no /proc/parport directory!  After some confusion,
and random 'modprobe'-ing, and many restarts of lpd, I figure it out.

Printing does not work until a) I issue a 'modprobe lp', after which
the /proc/parport/0/ directory appears and looks fine; b) I tell
parport to use IRQ 7 for the printer, via 'echo 7 >
/proc/parport/0/irq'.  However, once I do that, it seems to print ok;
the output of 'lptest' is currently using up all my ink; magicfilter
seems to PostScript-ize it to 2 side-by-side pages per physical page,
but that is all for the best.

So to make this occur at every boot, I put

'options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7'

into '/etc/modutils/arch/i386',

and the line

'lp'

in '/etc/modules'.

Is this correct?  Woohoo!  I finally got printing working under linux!
Something that I never managed while using RedHat, I must say.
'update-modules' rocks!  And so does the debian-users list, you guys
are great!

=wl

--
Albert ``Willy'' Lee, Emacs user, game programmer
"They call me CRAZY - just because I DARE to DREAM of a RACE of