Re: advanced power management and linux?

"Dexter Graphic" <dextergraphic@prodigy.net> writes:
> No, no, and no. I just went to their site to check the specs
> and noticed that they have a new model, the Silencer 400 ATX.
> Last time I ordered 275 watts was as good as it got. <smile>
>
> http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/ultra_quiet/index.htm

I  talked to  PCPC this  morning, I  can get  the P/S  for  about 200$
Canadian  from their Toronto  distributor. For  that price,  one would
think they actually generate *negative* noise. Though I might get one,
we'll see.  Right now I've got  my stock P/S hanging  outside the case
with a  lacquered chopstick jammed  between the fan blades.  It's been
going for  a good  hour now  and still hasn't  fried. Anybody  know if
power supplies generate less heat when there is less power being drawn
from them  (e.g. in "apm --suspend"  mode) or do  they always generate
the same amount  of heat? Anybody got any  interesting P/S overheating
stories?  My rationale  for  not  worrying too  much  about the  other
components is:
- The cpu has its own damn fan
- There is a hole where the P/S used to be, hot air can escape through
there if it feels the need
- "sensors" reports 36.18 C, that doesn't sound so bad.. or does it?
How do I find out what a reasonable temperature is for my machine?

Hm, the chopstick is starting to  smell bad, gotta let the fan run for
a bit..

> I've been working on plans for a sound-proof case-cover which
> I think would be a big hit with anyone running their computer
> in a bedroom, a small office, or in a multimedia setting. When
> I'm meditating all those motor noises really start to bother me.

That's funny, ever  since I started looking into  this I've found tons
of people on the net who  like their computers quiet. And yet, not one
of the  local computer stores,  big or small,  seem to know  the first
thing about it.

-chris