"no PPP support"

I'm not sure if this is a KDE or a Debian issue.

Have recently installed Debian 2.2 (already run 2.1), and use
KDE 1.1.2.  When I launch Kppp the following message appears:-

   "This kernel has no PPP support neither compiled in nor via the
    kernel module loader.
       To solve this problem:-
        * contact your system administator
           or
        * install a kernel with PPP support"

At this point, I click 'connect', download my mail and send any
outgoing messages, (this is one).

After installing Potato, I recompiled the kernel to my normal
requirements - these include PPP support.

Any ideas why the error message appears, and how to
eradicate it?

John.