Re: changing partiton size

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 01:08:10AM +0200, QBA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem because in a few days will have no free space
> on one of my partitons. I mounted on it /var directory and gave
> only 150MB for use. But now (after 3 months) I have only 21MB free.
> Because I also have one almost unused partition I thought that maybe
> I could resize these 2 partitions. Is any tool available (like partition
> magic for winshit) that can do that (without loss of my data)?
> Thanks for help,

Have you been using apt-get?  If you haven't done so already, you may be
able to reclaim some space with "apt-get clean".  apt-get keeps all the
packages it downloads in /var/cache/apt/archives.  They can add up after
a while.

If that's not what's eating up your space, you may have luck with parted
or 'gparted'.  I'd back up the whole space (if not your whole disk)
first.  If you have enough space on another partition, you can use tar
or cpio or 'cp -a' to copy all of the contents.  Can't give you any help
with parted (others have reported success).

--
/bin/sh ~/.signature:
Command not found