OT: flat rates (Re: sendmail reports I/O problem)

On Tue, 05 Sep 2000 08:01:53 +0200, "J.T. Wenting" writes:
>> >I mean, I pay for their service, regardless of how intensively I use it.
>>
>> Let me guess: "unlimited (fair use)" or friends somewhere in the
>>  contract? That´s a marketing gag, nothing else. Most, if not all, ISPs
>>  have a *very* clear idea what "fair use" is in GB/month...real flat
>>  rates are *expensive*, at least here in europe.
>>
>yes, but unless the contract specifically states the maximum, they cannot
>legally enforce it (at least not here).

Common practice for such "bad boys" is to either have them "grade up"
 to a volume based business account or to simply terminate the contract
 (read the AUP and the clauses in the contract, there are phrases like
 "unusual usage" or "ISP may terminate with the end of every calendar
 month" in every consumer contract I ever read). Good ISPs at least
 define clearly what they mean with "fair use", though ususally not in
 on the front page or in the prospects.

>And KPN earns quite a bit from all those bytes that are transmitted, you
>know :)

s/KPN/KPNQwest/ ;-)

I know, but nevertheless I like clear statements, even if that means
 volume/bandwidth-based billing.

cheers,
&rw
stdddisclaimer: not speaking for any organization, only for myself.
--
/ Robert Waldner <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> | Phone: +43 1 89933 0 Fax x533 \
\        KPNQwest/AT tech staff        | Diefenbachg. 35   A-1150 Wien /