Re: join us!

"Kurt Seifried" wrote:
  >Problem: user can enter Lilo commands at the Lilo prompt
  >Additional solution: remove/replace password in lilo.conf after setting it
  >(i.e. set password, run lilo, remove password).

You may not have noticed mbr:
bash-2.04$ dpkg --status mbr
Package: mbr
 This is used in booting Linux from the hard disk.
 The MBR runs first, then transfers control to LILO, which transfers
 control to the Linux kernel.

As far as I can see, install-mbr can be used to second-guess the BIOS
on available boot devices, and by default allows one to boot from floppy
even if the BIOS has floppy-booting disabled (or after the hard disk).
You get the mbr prompt if you press Ctrl too early when waiting for
the lilo prompt.

If you are making a big thing of security against those with physical
access, you need to mention this package, which is required and is
silently installed in a Debian installation.  (It exists because the
standard pc MBR is a non-free Microsoft product.)

     " ...Take heed, and beware of covetousness; for a man's
      life consisteth not in the abundance of the things
      which he possesseth."       Luke 12:15