RE: potato-update and symbolic links in /etc

On 31-Aug-2000 Egbert Bouwman wrote:
> During my slink-life I have developped the habit
> to make symbolic links of all those configuration files in /etc
> and its subdirectories  that I have changed myself.
> The real files are in /local/etc .
> This system has advantages and drawbacks.
> The big question now is what happens to this structure when
> during the update to potato some of these symlinked configuration
> files have to be updated as well ?
> egbert

whenever you change a config file, dpkg knows it.  This is accomplished thru
md5sums.  When you update a package with changed conffile(s), dpkg will ask you
do you want to:

keep your file
take the new one
show the difference with diff
send this to background and do something on my own

If you choose to take the new file, the old file will be written to
foo.dpkg-old.  If you choose to keep your file, the new one will be written to
foo.dpkg-dist.