[krs@hsv.tybrin.com: Deb 2.2 - startx works, xdm and gdm don't]

Can someone help this person, please?

----- Forwarded message from Karl Sackett <krs@hsv.tybrin.com> -----

From: Karl Sackett <krs@hsv.tybrin.com>
To: branden@debian.org
Subject: Deb 2.2 - startx works, xdm and gdm don't
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:38:59 -0500

I've installed Debian 2.2 on a workstation and I'm having problems
getting X to work properly.  I've gone through the docs, config files,
and the Debian mailing list archives, but I can't find anything that
points out what my problem is.

When I start the X server with startx everything works fine.  When I
try logging in through xdm the session fails and the following
messages appear in .xsession-errors:

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xmodmap:  unable to open display ':0'
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
/usr/bin/X11/WindowMaker fatal error: could not open display ":0"

I get similar messages when I use gdm instead of xdm.  These are all
clean installations -- the only file I've modified is XF86config and
everything else works fine X-wise if I use startx.

Do you have any ideas about where my problem is?  I'll appreciate
any help you can give me.  Thanks.

--
Karl Sackett                                          krs@hsv.tybrin.com
Tybrin Corporation

----- End forwarded message -----

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    It's not a matter of alienating authors.
Debian GNU/Linux               |    They have every right to license their