Re: Linux Mail Client (was: Re: Web browsers for Linux (was: Re: Netscape Bus Error))

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 02:05:35AM -0700, brian moore wrote:
> You're the one that keeps bringing up 'accounts'.  I keep asking what the
> concept of an 'account' has to do with mailboxes.

    Mail account.

> Again, Steve, I have accounts on machines with no mailboxes.  I have
> mailboxes on machines with no accounts.  I have MULTIPLE mailboxes on
> machines with a single account.

> You do NOT read from a pop3 'account', you read from a pop3 MAILBOX.

    And?  A mail account can have sources from multuple "mailboxes" and a user
account can have multiple mail accounts.

> Hell, I'm smart enough to a) spot private replies and reply to them
> privately.  *Hint* my last mail to you was private.

    Hint, I figured it would have been to the list if I hadn't fat fingered my
reply.

> And b) I'm smart enough to only send each mail once, instead of mailing
> it once as a private reply and then sending the exact same thing to a
> list.

    Well, considering I have on every other message, one might reasonable
surmise it was a mistake.

> Heck, I'm even smart enough to NOT cc people on list mail unless they've
> requested it.

> Howzabout you Steve?

    Sorry, I'm not a machine like you that never, ever, EVER makes a mistake.

> What seperates 'cat' from an MDA?  cat doesn't know about dotlocks or
> flock() or any of the other tricks expected of an MDA.  That's it.

    Interesting all, really.  None of which states that Exim doesn't fill the
MDA role.  I still await your points addressing that.

> In fact, of course, the reason for a seperate root account IS for
> accounting.  Go look up words like 'accountability'.

    Oh, gee, and you were talking about my loaded words.  What do most people
think of when you say accounting?  Especially in or near a sentence with
"pay".

> Because this 'workstation' also happens to be a server?  Why forward it
> to another machine?

   Just because you don't have a reason and find it silly does not mean there
isn't a reason for it or that other people don't have those needs.

> (Of course, I -could- if I wanted to, but that would be silly.)

    Maybe in your situation.  Silly in all situations?

    Really?  Wonder if you have morpheus@*.calweb.com, morpheus@.*rpglink.com,
grey@*.rpglink.com as well.

> Yes, I should remember the words of WSB: "Never proffer sympathy to the
> mentally ill, for theirs is a bottomless pit."  (From "Words of Advice to
> Young People").

    You know, people who stoutly refuse that there is a problem when there so
clearly is are often considered mentally ill.  There is a problem in this
scheme, Brian, no matter what your never-make-a-mistake self might think.
I'll take your advice and consider you mentally ill from now on and act
accordingly.