Re: Licensing Information Request

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 03:08:03PM -0600, Dompnier, Frank wrote:
> > Name: Frank Dompnier
> > Company Name: Talisman Energy Inc.
> > Address: Suite 3400, 888 3rd Street SW
> >          Calgary, Alberta T2P 5C5
> > Phone: (403) 237-1284
> > Fax: (403) 237-1674
> > Email: fdompnier@talisman-energy.com
> > Request type: S/W Export restrictions
>

> We are interested in purchasing Debian Linux for our subsidiary company
> based in Khartoum, Sudan. Please confirm that the use of this technology
> will not constitute a prohibited export of goods or technology under
> existing United States sanctions laws for this country.  If I've contacted
> you in error, please forward this correspondence to your sales or legal
> representative.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

A copy of recent modifications (Jan 12, 2000) to the EAR (formerly ITAR)
strong crypto regulations may be found at
http://www.eff.org/pub/Privacy/ITAR_export/2000_export_policy/20000112_cryptoexport_regs.html

As I understand the prohibitions, they restrict export of strong crypto
from the United States.  I believe you'd obviate the problem by
transporting the data directly from a third-party nation to a sanctioned
state.  I don't know if there are any repercussions for a US corporation
involved in any such activity.  Your contact info indicates you're in
Canada.  US law may not apply to you in this case.

Debian's website, and all conformant ftp mirror sites, include a list of
mirrors both in the US and internationally.

If you are looking for specific legal advice to guide your firms
decitions and policy, I would strongly advise you to contact an attorney
with specific experience in this area.  This is a technical mailing
list, not a legal service.