[Fwd: Installation halted by scsi failure

Seems I did it again.  I have fixed my notes, so the returned mail
shouldn't happen again!
--- Begin Message ---
The original message was received at Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:52:07 -0700 (PDT)
from pm3-114.netgate.net [205.214.163.114]

<debian-user@lists-debian.org>

550 <debian-user@lists-debian.org>... Host unknown (Name server: lists-debian.org: host not found)
Reporting-MTA: dns; pop.netgate.net
Received-From-MTA: DNS; pm3-114.netgate.net
Arrival-Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:52:07 -0700 (PDT)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; debian-user@lists-debian.org
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; lists-debian.org
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:52:11 -0700 (PDT)
--- Begin Message ---
       Debian Masters,
           I am not sure how to phrase this as I am not a subscribed
user; but I have a problem
  and I have gotten excellent assistance to this point.  So I thought I
should keep trying.
 Please CC any replies as I am not on your access list.  I need to get a
*real* system first.
 If you can help me get Linux up then I think I will be ready to move
up.

           To the problem!
  I have a 95 Mhz Pentium with a lot of nice components attached.  If
the work with this
 out of date dog; I'll replace the m'board with something 21st century.

           There is an Adaptec 2940 / 2940W SCSI adapter card.
            A Quantum (Fireball /280S) 60108C2 1 GB hard drive
            A Conner CFP1060S 1 GB hard drive
            And a Toshiba XM3501TA CD drive
            It also has a network interface card for later more advanced
potential.

When the system was started with the CD inserted I got to the install
wizard - if that's the
proper terminology.   As I followed the manual and explored some, on my
own, I kept coming
back to the same message, which was "no hard drive(s) found".  That is
my recollection of
the message anyway.

        Does this ring a bell with any one?  The version of Debian I am
trying to load is 2.1.
I also tried to install using a boot floppy; but, again I got a similar
message pointing to the
scsi drives not being recognized.  This offered an appearant DOS
modification - at least
that was how I read it - but I didn't quite understand the steps I
should take.  I have never
been scsi literate.  I do understand some of the termination issues.
But editting the cmos
via the Adaptec editor is a new and disconcerting area for me.

   Remember to CC me as I have not joined your list yet.  The system I
am using to
communicate with you is a 486  with a 28.8 modem.  I don't think I could
handle the
hundreds of e-mails you get daily.                    Thank you for
now,  Ed

--- End Message ---

--- End Message ---