non xfree-related question about installing xfree4

Hi,

I was thinking about installing xfree4.0.1 on my debian system, but
then I started worrying about how it would interfere with the debian
package management.

For instance, say I just install XF4, overwriting all the older stuff
that debian has put there.  What will happen when debian thinks it
should `upgrade' to a newer version?  Will it overwrite my files?  Or
what if I would deselect xfree-common?  Will I have problems with
depencies?  (Yes, probably!)

So, what's the right way to persue this?  As I said in the subject, I
don't think this is xfree-related, it's just about installing a newer
version of some debian package for which debian has lots of
dependencies.  (And making them live in harmony.)

regards,
Richard