Re: LILO & Kernel Image too big

Juan Ramon Jimenez Garcia wrote:
> Hi..
>   Did you make a 'make zImage' or a 'make bzImage'?
>
>  With make bzImage you will get a compressed kernel.

Actually, it gets compressed with either of those two methods.  I'm guessing
that he copied the wrong file from ... wherever it is that the files come
from.  I always use bzlilo ... can't remember where the various files get
dropped.

Thing is, there's a pre-compression file that gets left somewhere, and then
there's the post-compression file.  My guess is that it was the
pre-compression file that he copied.

Ah, there it is.  According to the Kernel-HOWTO ...

  7.11.  `Not a compressed kernel Image file''

  Don't use the vmlinux file created in /usr/src/linux as your boot
  image; [..]/arch/i386/boot/bzImage is the right one.

I'd guess it was the vmlinux file that he grabbed.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.