still unable to get kernel source

Okay, I've tried getting the kernel sources from different places,
decompressing the files in different ways, and finding the files so I can
even start to configure a kernel.

I've done it before, but I guess all the files were already there for me.

Can someone PLEASE just give the step-by-step instructions for downloading
and preparing the kernel source? Go ahead and treat me like a
five-year-old, I need to get this done right away. I can take over from
the "make xconfig" part - I've done that much before.

I am running potato, and would like to use the 2.2.17 kernel if possible.

If there is a web page that clearly explains this for Debian, I might be
able to get a browser going to look at it, but this really should be just
a few lines, right?

Thanks,
John