Re: Mailbox Formates (was: Expiring mail)

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 01:26:49PM -0600,
Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, anyone ever seen any good documentation on the
> advantages/disadvantages (even if it's biased, since we're *ALL*
> biased...) of the different mailbox formats?

In my experience, Maildir is best for spooling new messages and
mbox is best for large message archives. 1000 messages in a
Maildir isn't pretty :) Maildir is great for spooling because no
locking is necessary, making it perfect for NFS. It's slower (on
very large mailboxes only) because MUAs must stat every single
file in the directory, which is quite slow.

I use Postfix as MTA which hands messages off to maildrop, which
drops messages into various Maildirs in ~/Maildir. I read these
over IMAP with courier-imap. When a mailbox gets to be about 200
messages, i convert it to an mbox in my archive directory.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pobox.com

"When I give food to the poor I am called a saint, when I ask why
 they go hungry I am called a communist"
 --Bishop Helder Camara