lpr|lprng & apsfilter & deskjet 400

This used to work.  I became annoyed that the listing header was
printed as "Printed by from" instead of "Printed by $USER from
$HOSTNAME".  Discussing it on apsfilter.org, the solution appeared to
be replace lpr with lprNG.  lpr + apsfilter + a2ps was failing on
perms in parsing the lpd lock file.

After replacing lpr with lprNG, I get banner only; no listing.  The
listing header still reads "Printed by from", and the listing date has
reverted to "Dec 31 1969 17:00".  Yoiks!

Right now, I'm tempted to go back to lpr, though I've no idea if that
will improve anything.  This is a stand-alone slink laptop; I've no
need for advanced features, just listings.

I've /etc/init.d/lprng restart'ed to reread my /etc/printcap, and
still nothing (but banner).  The printer is a deskjet 400, and I've
told apsfilter to use it as it was used before.

I'm about to replace lprNG with lpr, but I've no idea if that will
help any.  I've never seen a .deb degrade functionality the way this
combination has.

Any suggestions, please?  T'anks.

--
keelingNO@SPAM.spots.ab.ca (Stephen) TopQuark Software & Serv. Enquire within.