Re: Problem with swapping - computer crash.

Dear

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 11:43:37PM -0700, nate@firetrail.com wrote:
> I can't speak for the others, but its good to restart netscape at least 2
> or 3 times a day if you only have 128MB.

Yes. I noticed that. But I cannot control easy *when* to restart the netscape
without being full aware of how much memory is taking. I don't prefer
manual control of that.

> marko >Usually there is no problem, but then about 5 o'clock when cron jobs
> marko >start working, memory is filled up somehow, and my X becomes so slow,
> marko >that I cannot switch to console any more to kill some programs.
>
> Are these system cron jobs or are they cron jobs you set? 5AM ?

Yes, those are system crons, like locate, find and such.

> could this be the locate database updating ? that takes about 30 minutes
> on the average system i think. the system can drag real bad during that
> time if its slow.

Yes it is. But I hoped to find a way, that system stays stable after htat.
Even when Netscape is taking ALL the memory, I would like to find a way
to let my system be stable.

What happens by default when all memory and swap file is exhausted?
I would like to know that. Must it be that system crashes or that
it denies every use of my computer?

> you shouldn't have to "free" swap. but in your case i would for sure add
> more swap, and even better to add more ram, it is good practice to have 3

Even then. What is supposed to happen when all RAM is exhausted?

Sincerely,
Marko Cehaja