Uh oh! I ruined my kernel!

Hey,

I did a complete system upgrade yesterday (nothing in my computer is the
same as it was anymore), so I was recompiling the kernel, and I guess I
configured something wrong, cause now my computer won't boot-up.  _I'm
not concerned about fixing it,_ I just want to start over, but I can't
seem to reinstall debian, because when I boot off the 2.1 CD, and I hit
'enter' to boot, it loads the bad kernel image off my hard drive,
instead of the one on the CD.  I read the help (by pressing F1-F4), and
it said something about typing 'default' and then hitting enter, but
then it just tells me that their is no kernel image 'default'.  Just
wondering how I can load the CD's kernel image.

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson