Re: How is leafnode's delaybody supposed to work?

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 10:26:22PM +0200, Christian Pernegger wrote:
> I'd like to proxy news in a LAN with a potato server and 2 Windows clients.
> Both low and high traffic text groups will be read and some binary groups
> scavenged :)
>
> The obvious choice for me was leafnode, BUT the standard mode where it gets
> all messages in all groups is obviously to expensive in terms of bandwidth,
> as well as ineffective - probably only 1/10th of all messages are actually
> read.

How many users in your LAN, and how fat is outside connection?  I'm
finding that for a single-user workstation, Leafnode works fine pulling
full bodies for a number of groups, including comp.os.linux.misc, and
several other high-volume groups.  Straight text isn't terribly huge,
and with hourly polling, a fetchnews cycle tends to run a few minutes.
On 56k dailup.  If you're running DSL, cable, or better, I'd go with a
more full-featured solution than leafnode, possibly scheduling feeds for
off-peak hours, though shorter post/response cycles can also be helpful.

> In delaybody=1 mode it will download only headers, replace the bodies with a
> pseudo-message comfirming it has been marked for the next retreival and
> retreive the real body the next time fetchnews is run...

This is probably going to be really annoying.  Problem is that you have
to run fetchnews pretty regularly for this to be anything less than a
major inconvenience.

Your other option is to pick a *real* NNTP server -- INN, suck, or
similar -- and restrict the set of groups which are supported.  You
don't get the automatic addition and removal of groups according to user
interest, but you do avoid the problem of someone mass-selectin posts in
large numbers of groups -- leafnode assumes a level of user
responsibility.