apt-get upgrade problems

I just did an apt-get upgrade (to frozen) for the first time in several
months.  Unlike most of the people who say things like that around here,
everything is still (mostly) functional, but it has acquired a few
unpleasant quirks...

1)  I used to have SSH set up so that I could jump between the boxen on my
LAN without having to reenter passwords.  This no longer works.  I had
previously arranged it using /etc/ssh/shosts.equiv, which probably isn't the
best way to do it anyhow.  Although my primary interest is in not having to
retype my password constantly, I would also like to find out how to do this
the 'right' way.

2)  When connecting with SSH, after entering my password, I get a couple of
errors:
shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory

3)  When I open an Eterm (within wmaker, if that makes a difference), the
shell opens up in the directory for the Eterm's active theme instead of the
user's home directory.

Suggestions, anyone?

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+