Re: mouse gpm/xwindow conflict revisited

Quoting Mark (mr_jimmybob@yahoo.com):

> I also have a  gpm / xwindows conflict. I have tried various protocols and
> types of mouse (I tried a serial bus mouse and a ps2 trackman), but the
> mouse never works in X if I had gpm previously working.
>
> Can this be fixed? or do you have to make a workaround ?

Here's what caught me out if you're coming from slink to potato.

The old gpm had a -R option which repeated the mouse to
/dev/gpmdata with the "MouseSystems" protocol, i.e.

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
    Device      "/dev/gpmdata"

The new one has -Rprotocol but defaults to -Rms3 when you install it.
You need to change it to -Rmsc to make it work with a preexisting
XF86Config such as above.

When you make this change with gpmconfig, it will tell you that it
started the gpm server. It doesn't though, because there's already
one running. You have to do it yourself. Check with ps wax.

Cheers,