Re: Does Windows regenerate MBR by itself?

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 06:47:48PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 04:33:03PM -0400, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> >
> > I'm going over tomorrow to reinstall LILO for him.
>
> you should dd his kernel to a floppy, then use rdev to set the root
> device to is real root partition.  then next time this happens he can
> just stick the floppy in and run /sbin/lilo just like normal, and
> everything will be everything again.
>
> > How can I prevent something like this happening again?

Something in the bios can be set to prevent things (viruses) from
writing to the mbr.  Reinstall LILO and then turn this on in the
bios.  Of course, it's a pain because you must rerun lilo for each
kernel upgrade.  You could install grub which doesn't need to be
reinstalled for each kernel...  I don't think doze can override the
bios feature (what protection would it be otherwise).

> delete windows ;-)

I second that.

--
Pat Mahoney  <pat7@gmx.net>

Hobbes:  Do you have an idea for your story yet?
Calvin:  No, I'm waiting for inspiration.  You can't just turn on
         creativity like a faucet.  You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes:  What mood is that?
Calvin:  Last-minute panic.
                -- From "Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson