Runlevels 2-5 ???, xdm-gdm conflicts.

Hello All.

Sorry to overload this message but I have a few doubts with my (shiny) new
installed Debian (potato).

1. Runlevels. ?
    Everywhere I read about runlevels in Debian it says the same...

        runlevels 2 through 5 are various multiuser runlevels.

    But... which are which ?.

2. Default runlevel ?
    I latley installed Debian and I dont now why it starts in X (with xdm
asking for a login), I did not ask to do this.
    I go to the /etc/inittab file and the default runlevel is 2. Is it here
where my debian is deciding to start in X, or is it elsewhere?.

3. xdm-gdm conflicts.
    xdm is not starting a window manager or shell after login, it just kicks
me out again!, not wanting to bother with xdm I would like to install gdm
instead, but...
    When I try to install gdm it says it cant because it has conflicts with
xdm. And I can't remove xdm because of some dependency problems!.

    Hoy can I overcome this?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Sanchez
a1013@dis.ulpgc.es, mr_jimmybob@yahoo.com.

"Kernel Panic" - GNU/Linux over nigth with the lights out!