fetchmail with ssh

I'd like to get fetchmail to retrieve my mail after I login to my ppp
account, so I can read mail offline. I tried to get fetchmail to pop my
mail (without ssh) with this rc file:

	set daemon 300  # Poll at 5-minute intervals
	set logfile .fetchlog

	poll hostname.org protocol POP3 username USERNAME password XXXXXXXX

but I get this in the log file:

	fetchmail: starting fetchmail 4.6.4 daemon
	fetchmail: 4.6.4 querying hostname.org (protocol POP3) at Sun Jun  4
	16:51:08 2000
	fetchmail: fetchmail: POP3 connection to hostname.org failed: Connection
	refused
	fetchmail: terminated with signal 15

Eventually I want to set up fetchmail with ssh as described in
/usr/doc/fetchmail/FAQ.gz. I tried what's described there with this rc
file:

	set logfile .fetchmaillog

	poll hostname.org port 1234 via localhost with proto pop3 keep
	fetchall:
	preconnect "ssh -f -L 1234:hostname.org:110 hostname.org sleep 20
	</dev/null >/dev/null";

and I got this as stdout:

$ fetchmail -v -v
Enter password for USERNAME@hostname.org:
fetchmail: 4.6.4 querying hostname.org (protocol POP3) at Sun Jun  4
18:37:10 2000