How to install debs?

Dear friends,

I'm running Debian Slink (2.1) and trying to install Applix 5.0. Per
instructions in the readme, I did

	cd /cdrom
	./setup

Things went smoothly till somewhere near the end, when the message appeared
that the installer wanted to update my system. The following four files
needed to be installed. I approved, and things proceeded, but I don't think
anything happened, because although the Applix stuff is on the KDE menu,
nothing happens when I click.

libglib1.2_1.2.6-0.slink.0_i386.deb
libglib1.2dev_1.2.6-0.slink.0_i386.deb
libgtk1.2_1.2.6-0.slink.0_i386.deb
libgtk1.2-dev_1.2.6-0.slink.0_i386.deb

Do I need to install these files myself? I am sorry to say I can't figure
how to do it. I have learned that they are not a "package" so I can't do
"apt-get install <package>." I would appreciate some pointers.

Thanks very much,

Chris Joyner