Re: cdrecord question

On 05/03, Andrew Kae wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Matsushita (Panasonic) 7582 IDE cdr.  I've read
> through the CD-Writing Howto but I am still confused about
> one thing.
>
> Is it possible to write files and directories to a cd without making
> an image first?

    It can be done, I've never tried it, so I don't know if it's really
a good idea or not.  According to the CD-Writing howto, you can pipe
the output of mkisofs to cdrecord, like so:

shell> IMG_SIZE=`mkisofs -R -q -print-size private_collection/  2>&1 \
       | sed -e "s/.* = //"`
shell> echo $IMG_SIZE shell> [ "0$IMG_SIZE" -ne 0 ] \
       && mkisofs -r private_collection/  \
       |cdrecord  speed=2  dev=0,6,0
       tsize=${IMG_SIZE}s  -data -
  #Don't forget the s --^        ^-- read data from STDIN

  The success of this depends greatly on the speed of your machine.  You
definitely won't want to run any hard-disk intensive process while this
is going on.

  Hope this helps.

--
Cory T. Echols