Re: PPP over null modem

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 02:21:32PM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:
> On Tue, 2 May 2000, Dan Brosemer wrote:
> > I'm trying to install potato over a PPP connection between a laptop with no
> > network card (hermod) and a desktop with ethernet (bolverk).
> >
> > I can communicate over the null modem between machines with minicom no
> > problem.
> >
> > hermod:~# pppd -detach /dev/ttyS0 57600 192.168.5.2:192.168.5.1 crtscts
> > debug noauth
> > bolverk:~# pppd -detach /dev/ttyS1 57600 192.168.5.1:192.168.5.2 crtscts
> > debug noauth
> You can setup a user on the "server" so that when the user logs in, pppd
> would be started; in /etc/passwd:
> pppuser:.......:/usr/local/bin/ppplogin
> in which ppplogin basically a script that starts pppd:
> /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options
> On the client machine, set a ppp connection up with a self-written chat
> script; the script handles the login: and password: prompts.

I tried something slightly simpler.  I used bash as the shell and tried to
start pppd manually over the serial connection.  This might mean something:

in minicom:
bolverk:/etc/ppp# pppd noauth
(hangs)

in an eterm on bolverk:
bolverk:/home/odin# pppd noauth
~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } (etc.)

The latter looks right, but why on earth does it work and not the former?

I copied my /etc/ppp/options file to /etc/ppp/options.ttyS1 to make sure
there weren't weird differences in how it was being started even.

For some reason, pppd just won't chatter over my serial ports... it's quite
confusing.

> If you have a network card on your laptop, it would be nice; you can setup
> IP alias feature on the kernel so that you can monitor both machines with
> ease (you don't have to go back and forth between them). Just use a
> network number for the ethernet and another for the ppp link.

I wish.  I have a network card coming by mail order (about a week-1/2 to
deliver).  If I had it already, I wouldn't care about setting up pppd.  I
just want to install software and get the laptop usable sooner rather than
later.  It seems a waste to have such a nice machine with only the base
system on it.

Thanks for your help.

-Dan

--
"Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart
he dreams himself your master."