Re: Gnome gripes

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 07:04:23PM -0400,
David S. Bateman <batemand@mindspring.com> wrote:
> edited Xsession according to _Learning Debian GNU/Linux :

I assume you mean ~/.xsession. I should hope the book wouldn't
advise that you screw up /etc/X11/Xsession.

>     #!/bin/bash
>     xterm &
>     gmc &
>     enlightenment &
>     panel
>     exit 0
>     ##

The only thing that should be in ~/.xsession is

#!/bin/sh
exec gnome-session

>     how do you get gdm working? do I really want to?

That's entirely up to you. I have a screenshot up at
<http://www.pobox.com/~epg/gdm.png>, if you want to see what it
looks like. GDM offers something XDM doesn't: multiple types of X
sessions. By default, Debian comes with a Debian session (which
works just like logging in from XDM), an X session (similar to
the Debian session, but i can't remember the difference except
that it tries to use the X session manager, xsm), and a Gnome
session. The Gnome session ignores ~/.xsession, but you can run
programs from ~/.gnomerc if you want.

>     how do you get the fonts (like in xterm) larger?

For xterm, you will need to add a line to ~/.Xresources like
this:

Xterm*font: fontname

For Gnome apps, this is in a rather unintuitive place. It's in
the "Theme Selector" section of the Control Center. For other
apps, there's no telling, but it might be an X resource.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pobox.com

"Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now.
 Buy. And be happy."
--OMM (THX 1138)