Re: Questions from a new debian user

On 01-Apr-2000 00:02:07 Hilary Hertzoff wrote:

> Thanks everyone.
>
> Eventually I'm going to remove xdm from the startup script, but I'm
> finding it handy while I'm learning the system to use the windows until I
> feel comfortable using other ways to get around the system.   The reason I
> asked about leaving it was because I read somewhere that it was better not
> to upgrade with X running.

You could, when you decide you no longer want xdm to start when you boot the
machine, either remove the links (using update-rc.d) or just put
'exit 0' at the top of the script, below
#!/bin/sh

That is what I did, so I can undo it easily in case I ever want to start xdm.
I did not remove xdm because it was a dependency for something else I had
installed.

--
Andrew