Re: Framebuffer console with a G400

Ok, I have a matrox g400, and all I want is the nice looking 1024x768
console.  I can get this using the append="video=matrox:vesa:280" in
lilo.conf.  However, this stops working as soon as I enter X, and then
try to either exit, or switch to another virtual console.  I don't
understant where ther 280 value comes from, for beginners.  This is my
first attempt at learning about frame buffers, so if there is a good
source somewhere, please point me to it.

I should also mention that I have a viewsonic PT775 monitor, which can
do 1600x1200, and will auto track horix from 30-96khz, and vert from
50-160khz, so I can't imagine I'm out of range.

Trying to use fbset doesn't work either, I'm missing something
fundemental here.

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu