Re: How to add a user to a group on the fly

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 17:31, Kent West wrote:
> If I want to add my normal user (westk) to the
> dialout group, I know I can (as root) edit the
> /etc/group file and add westk to the end of the

# adduser westk dialout

is much easier.  :->

> dialout line. However, I then have to log out (and
> shut down vmware and NT-on-vmware) and shut down
> X, etc, then log back in and fire everything back
> up in order to get the change to take affect. Is
> there any way I can get the change to take affect
> without logging out/logging back in?

I don't know of a way. It _might_ be sufficient to open an xterm or rxvt
or whatever with the -ls option after the change, and then run your
dialout app from that shell, but I dunno. I don't use X much meself, so
logging out and then back in is a 5 second process.  :-)

Luck,
Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\