SCSI disk failure

Hi,

This is not strictly Debian related, but lots of competent people
dwell on this list so...

Yesterday I came home to find that my Quantum Fireball SCSI-disk had
produced an "Unrecoverable read error". From kern.log:

--8<--
kernel: scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 25 73 90 00 00 02 00
kernel: Info fld=0x257390, Current sd08:05: sense key Medium Error
kernel: Additional sense indicates Unrecovered read error
kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:05, sector 221318
kernel: (scsi0:0:0:0) Performing Domain validation.
kernel: (scsi0:0:0:0) Successfully completed Domain validation.

and so on for a few more sectors...
--8<--

All sectors were within sda5 so I thought this would be fixable.  I
tried fscking it and when that didn't work, scsiformat (it only served
as temporary backup space -- no important data) but not even a
lowlevel format can be performed. scsiformat complains that:

--8<--
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 6328861 [3090 MB]
[3.1 GB]
 sda:scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (6) 00
 00 00 02 00
Current error sd08:00: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates Unrecovered read error
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
--8<--

Is there any other method, however ugly, to get this disk into shape
or should I consider it to be in doorstop mode?

TIA!

        /regards Anton
--
Bare feet magnetize sharp metal objects so they point upward from the
floor -- especially in the dark.