Can't mount data CD burned using Windows SW

I have a CD with a lot of linux-related SW that I burned at work. I
created the ISO image using mkisofs (I forget the exact arguments), and
ftp'ed the ISO image to a windows NT box which has an HP cd-writer. I
burned the CD successfully and closed the session so I wouldn't be able
to burn anymore stuff to it.

On my debian box at work, I am able to mount this data CD fine without
any problems. On my debian system at home, I am unable to mount the CD
and these are the error messages I get:

@phoenix:[/root] mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom/
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems
Exit 32

My system logs show the following kernel messages:

Mar  5 20:53:08 phoenix kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
Mar  5 20:53:15 phoenix kernel: hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Mar  5 20:53:15 phoenix kernel: hdc: command error: error=0x50
Mar  5 20:53:15 phoenix kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 64
Mar  5 20:53:15 phoenix kernel: isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=16:00, iso_blknum=16, block=32
Mar  5 20:53:15 phoenix kernel: ATAPI device hdc:
Mar  5 20:53:15 phoenix kernel:   Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
Mar  5 20:53:15 phoenix kernel:   Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64, ascq=0x00)
Mar  5 20:53:22 phoenix kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1
Mar  5 20:53:22 phoenix kernel: ISOFS: changing to secondary root
Mar  5 20:53:22 phoenix kernel: isofs_read_super: root inode not initialized
Mar  5 20:53:22 phoenix kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1
Mar  5 20:53:22 phoenix kernel: ISOFS: changing to secondary root
Mar  5 20:53:22 phoenix kernel: isofs_read_super: root inode not initialized

Both debian systems are potato systems. My home system has a Creative
Labs 36x cd-rom. Is this problem caused due to an incorrectly burnt CD
or due to some problem in my home system's CD-ROM drive ?

I'd appreciate any info since I have to burn a few more of these CDs
soon and I'd rather get it right the next time around.

Also, could it be due to bad media ? I will try some different (better
quality CDRs the next time around) since the one in question is a
no-name CDR.

When burning an ISO image using the Windows SW (Adaptec EasyWriter or
sth like that), are there any settings that I should be aware of or
careful about ? I'd appreciate any tips on how to burn a linux-created
ISO image on a windows box using the Adaptec software.

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com