Re: installing- last try before win98

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 10:33:01AM -0800, smoke wrote:
> i downloaded the files from the getting started, dos install. i have
> install, linux
> drv1440.bin, loadlin.exe, root.bin,resc1440.bin and base2_1.tgz.
> i run the install bat and get a command to enter kernal name. i tried
> linux and nothing
> happens.

Don't Panic.  Slow down.  Read the instructions.

If you're not willing to do all of the above, go back to the Evil One.
You and Linux may not be ready for one another yet.

First off, where are you finding your "getting started, DOS install"
stuff?  Did you download the files?  Got a URL?  Did you buy or
otherwise obtain a CDROM?  What's it say on it?

Several of us with Debian don't find ourselves installing the
system every days (it runs, we don't have to), and while the installation
process has common elements, it's also got common features between
variants.  Without knowing what you're dealing with, I can't offer more
specific information.

There should be documentation, quite possibly in a file name README.
I'd suggest you read it.

You may also find the following references useful:
  http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install

It sounds as if you're using the floppyless method described at 5.3.1 of
this page:
  http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/ch-install-methods.en.html

Please respond detailing exactly what commands you are entering, and
what output you are getting from the system.  You may want to capture
output, I believe <ctrl>-P in DOS will capture all output to your
printer, if connected.  Logging your session would be useful.

It would also be helpful to know:

 - What kind of hard drive(s) do you have (IDE or SCSI)?
 - How many of same.
 - Partitioning of same.

> WHAT IS THE KERNEL out of these files? IS LINUX SUPPOSED TO
> HAVE
> AN EXTENSION?

The Linux kernel is usually a file named "linux", "vmlinuz", or "vmlinux",
sometimes with a numeric extension following like "2.0.36" or "2.2.13".

The Linux kernel is not a DOS executable.  It usually does not have an
.exe extension, though this is arbitrary.  Linux executables are marked
with a filesystem attributed, not by filename extensions.

I'd suggest doing a DOS directory listing and posting that with your
problem:

    dir > dir.txt

> IF I DO GET AN INSTALLATION TO WORK WILL I SEE A GRAPHICS PAGE OR
> JUST
> #
> #
> #
> # ?

You'll probably find yourself looking at a console.  Yes.  Text.  Linux
can (and often is configured for) boot GUI, but it's not part of the
Debian process currently.

> i want to learn linux, but if it is uninstallable without knowing unix
> commands i will
> buy windows 98.

With those expectations, I'd honestly suggest you buy Windows 98.

If you don't mind learning something, pick up a few books --
"Learning Debian GNU/Linux" will walk you through the installation
process and give you the basics of Debian.  "Running Linux" will give
you bit of system administration and features information.  "Linux in a
Nutshell" does a good job of summarizing commands and features.  All
three are available from O'Reilly.  "Learning Debian GNU/Linux" is
available online at O'Reilly's website: http://www.ora.com/.

> i have compacted a second harddrive, and ran fips.

A compressed (is this what you mean by "compacted"?) drive will cause
problems.  Do you mean a physical drive, or multiple partitions on a
single drive?

> i have two
> partitions. i have the
> files required according to the getting started page in a file on the
> dos partition.
> WHAT DO I TYPE IN FOR THE KERNAL?
> is the base 2-1.tgz a compressed file i have to unzip?

Yes.  This should be covered in the instructions.