Re: can't display remote X jobs after potato

David declared,

> On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 11:41:13AM -0600, hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu wrote:

> > Whether by passing xauthority, ssh, or plain old "xhost +", I can't get
> > anything from a remote machine to display.  Jobs on this machine
> > can display remotely.  I've tried displaying on my own box with FreeBSD,
> > and on a redhat box.  I get the same errors with each:

> I had a similar problem after doing an `apt-get dist-upgrade', with
> /etc/apt/sources.list pointing to the X update for slink.

> It turns out that xdm was upgraded, and my old config files were somehow
> overwritten.  The one in question was /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess.  It is well
> commented and you should be able to figure it out.  If not, let me know.

I have the entry

*                                       #any host can get a login window

In both the local machine, and the corresponding file on the remote
machine (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess).

Yet I get the response,

Fatal server error:
XDMCP fatal error: Session failed Session 444176001 failed for display hawkins.cba.uni.edu:1: Cannot open display

xdm is running on both machines.

I use ssh to get to the remote machine, set the display variable to the
local machine, cut and paste my xauth code, and get

nsSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: hawkins.cba.uni.edu:0.0

Then, going for broke, I try using xhost from the local machine
to enable the remote display:

hawkinsttyp8:hawk>xhost + dhcp252-100.vlc2-100e92.cfu.net
dhcp252-100.vlc2-100e92.cfu.net being added to access control list

and in the window to the other machine, and get the same result.

As I understand these files, the * in Xaccess in the *remote* machine
should be enough to get a login screen on console vt8, and *either*
the xuath codes or the xhost+ should give me the remote screen the
ability to use the local server (and should not be affected by any
xdm settings).

rick

hawk