Re: .emacs file please

Patrick Kirk <patrick@kirks.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm just coming to grips with emacs and discovered that most people have a .emacs file with default settings that they can use.
>
> Could someone send me this default file please?

You don't need a .emacs if you're just going to use the defaults.  If
you want a good example of what you can do in a .emacs,

# apt-get install emacs-lisp-intro

and then, in emacs `C-h i' to get the main info menu and look for
emacs-lisp-intro.  Another alternative is to

M-x customize

in emacs to get a hierarchical listing of customizable variables.  Be
prepared to spend a lot of time there, though :-)

BTW, for general emacs questions, you're better off asking in the
newsgroups gnu.emacs.help or comp.emacs.

HTH,

cbb