Re: upgrade to 2.2.18

patd@dahiroc.net wrote:

> 1)  CMD640 & RZ1000 IDE CHIPSET?

it's safe to disable for MVP3 chipset i believe those bugs are only
on REALLY REALLY REALLY old machines. i have done many MVP3-based
linux boxes and always turned it off, never had a problem.

>         the system clock every 11 minutes.  is this really necessary?
>         if not how do i stop this?

i just leave my machine at the defaults, never had a problem. if you
almost never reboot it is not needed to upgrade the hardware clock
at all(one of my machines had it's hardware clock off by more then
12 hours for almost a year, but since the system was using the
software clock and it never rebooted there was no problems. just
for the hell of it i never manually updated the hardware
clock(hwclock --systohc)

> 3)  update-modules /lib/modules/2.2.18
>         i've updated my modules.conf by turning off the following
>         network protocols:

i can't remember a time when i ever used modules.conf, i don't like
using the kernel module loader(fills my log files with useless crap
like not being able to find XXXX when i know i don't need whatever
it's trying to find. and when i use modules i usually specify
the settings when i load. so i can't really comment on what
you do here.

>                 Dec 31 16:59:52 yakko modprobe: Note:
>                 /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
>                 /lib/modules/2.2.18/modules.dep
>
>         is this normal?  should i touch modules.dep to get rid of this
>         warning or did i do something wrong.

you can but as the message implies its just a timestamp thing
i usually leave it alone. doesn't hurt anything(in my cases)

this message will self destruct in 5 seconds.

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336