Re: install on compaq 1245

On December 30, 2000 04:43 pm, mgriffa@fibertel.com.ar wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Anyone installed debian on one of these? I'd like to know how
> about X, sound, and pcmcia configuration (meaning: easy, sortta,
> pain). Well, I'm just planing to updata the notebook and wanted to
> see how much time should I reserve for that installation.
> Thanks!

What hardware does the notebook have?  I have a 1275 which I think is
similar so I will give you hints from that.  I have a webpage about it
at http://members.home.com/sdalimon/linux/Compaq1275.html

Note this machine runs Mandrake (But is outnumbered by 2 other Debian
machines in the house) so I can only offer general suggestions, nothing
debian specific.

Neomagic Video
Supported by the XFree86_SVGA server.  Both 3.3.6 and 4.0.1 work.  Use
Option "intern_disp" and Option "extern_disp" in the Device section to
set wether X is on LCD and/or monitor.  The keyboard control doesn't
work reliably in X.  Monitor switching works on the console.

ESS Sound
Soundblaster compatable.  Get the Io, irq, dma, etc from the BIOS
screen or the WIndows device manager.  Volume buttons do work.

PCMCIA
Works with my Practically Networked (LinkSys) NP-100 network card

USB (Does the 1245 have this?)
Works fine with 2.2.17+backport (Probably 2.2.18 too, haven't tried it
yet).  Used with Zip250 and <S SideWinder gamepad

Touchpad
This is a Synaptics Touchpad.  It works as a PS/2 mouse.  A utility is
available to turn off tap-to-click mode if you don't like it.

Modem
The Compaq 56K modem is a Lucent LT Winmodem.  A driver for most 2.2
kernels is available from http://linmodems.org.  I find it unreliable,
especially with the network card.  More modem info and newer Windows
drivers are available from www.808hi/com/56k/ltwin.htm

I also use a backpack CD-Rewriter attached to the parallel port using
the binary driver from microsolutions webpage.  I also use an external
monitor, keyboard and logitech cordless wheelmouse (On a cheap PS/2 y
cable.  Compaq claims that y cables are not reliable, but I have had no
problems).

Hope this helps.

--
Shawn D'Alimonte   sdalimon@home.com