Re: Switching between KDE & Helix-Gnome

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 05:10:48PM +0100, Holger Rauch wrote:
> > You don't need KDM in order to start KDE, nor do you need GDM to start
> > GNOME.  Either of these display managers will allow you to choose a
> > "session" from a menu when you log in.
>
> If I understand you right, it is probably best to do completely without a
> display manager and instead use an ".xsession" file in my home directory
> from which I start the corresponding session. What script do I have to
> execute for starting Helix Gnome?

No, not at all.  That will work, of course.  It will even work if you
use a display manager.  What I am saying is that both KDM and GDM
provide a menu with which you can choose a session to run when you log
in.  Which display manager are you using?  If you're using gdm, here's
how to set things up:

Create a script in /etc/X11/gdm called KDE.  That script needs to
contain nothing but the following
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/kde2

## end of script.

Don't forget to chmod +x the script.

Now, when you log out, if you look at the sessions menu in gdm you'll
see an option for KDE.  If you select that option and log in, you'll be
running KDE.  If you leave the menu alone, you'll go to whatever you'd
previously been using.

All this stuff works system-wide.  Using the same method you can easily
create a session script for whatever window managers you have installed
and easily switch between them when logging in.

Doing this with KDM is, I'm sure, very similar.  I can't give you
specifics, though, as I don't use it.

HTH,
noah