Re: swap space and memory

it is, look at 'dmesg' or look at the log when the system boots.

in my case i have 512MB memory

Memory: 517152k/524288k available (1256k kernel code, 412k reserved,
5424k data, 44k init)

the system tells you what the overhead is used for.

aphro@aphro:~$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:           505        278        226         70          8
220
-/+ buffers/cache:         49        455
Swap:          368          0        368

nate