Re: Why non-free (was Re: unzip - again)

    kmself> on Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 04:52:51PM -0500, Chris Gray
    kmself> (cgray@nowonder.com) wrote:

    Carel> unzip is not truly free, so it ain't part of Debian pure.
    Carel> Try adding non-free to your default deb line in your
    Carel> /etc/apt/sources.list:
    >>  This is strange to me.  I've seen the unzip licence, and it
    >> looks like one of the most free out there.  Could someone
    >> explain why it's in non-free?
    >>
    >> (Actually there's one in non-US, which I can understand because
    >> of the encryption, and one in non-free which I can't
    >> understand).

    kmself> Which specific copyright?

    kmself> /usr/doc/unzip-crypt/copyright stipulates several
    kmself> restrictions on use in commercial software or software
    kmself> sold for a profit.  This would tend to run against the
    kmself> directives of the DFS guidelines.  Ergo: non-free.

I knew I had seen a better copyright somewhere:

--------------
Latest Release

New features in UnZip 5.41, released 16 April 2000:

     new BSD-like license
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     new Novell Netware NLM port
     support for testing/extraction of archives with more than 65535 files
     integrated decryption source code
     fix for broken attribute handling in VMS port
--------------

This is from the google cached copy of
http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/UnZip.html

The info-zip.org site seems to be down right now, but the license
should be at
http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/license.html

Cheers,
Chris

--
Every child in America MUST get one of these things for Christmas or
Chanukah or Kwanzaa or Atheist Children Get Presents Day.