sound not working right (woody/AWE64/2.4-test)

I have compiled pnp, sound, awe32 and 100% SB Compatible support into my kernel (monolithic, no modules).  Sound works, sort of.  chmod 666 /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer

However when playing something like Enya with XMMS using ESD it sounds like a helicopter is in the background.  Don't know why and can't seem to find help with this anywhere.

Anything would be appreciated at this point.

Jeff