Re: OT: port scan

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:21:30 +0100, Philipp Schulte writes:
>On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 11:02:52PM +0100, Robert Waldner wrote:
>> But unauthorized use of ressources is, as is unauthorized altering. And
>>  the preparation of illegal tasks (as which I would clearly define
>>  port-scanning) is also illegal. There was some coverage in either c´t
>>  or iX[0] some half year go iirc. Disclaimer: IANAL.
>
>Would have to look it up. But I am pretty sure that portscanning
>itself is not illegal. It is not forbidden to look at your house as
>long as I don't step on your ground.

Yes, but I would see the analogy more as to scrabble all over it,
 fumbling all the windows to see if there´s an open one anywhere.

Don´t forget that a portscan already uses your resources, and that´s
 not on ports where you implicitly agreed to this usage (as would be on
 port 80 if you had a public webserver running or the like).

> In a network you don't have eyes,
>you "see" with IP-packages.

Agreed, there´s no way if someone closely observes the flow of data
 that you produce or the setup of a tcp session to your public
 webserver. But I´m sure you never (even implicitly) agreed that
 someone has the right to use your linuxconf-port. That´s not looking
 at your house but trying to open the windows and doors (a tcp session
 for example).

>To prevent getting observed one can build a wall - either a real wall
>for your house or a firewall for your system.

Historically firewalls were used in trains to prevent leakage of fire
from the engine to the passenger compartments, electronic ones are
usually used just the other way around ;-) : to prevent passengers of
fumbling with the engine...

We should further discuss this in private mail I think...

cheers,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /