Re: Using Netscape 6.0 and 4.74 together

Kelly Corbin <kcorbin@theiqgroup.com> wrote:
>I have seen several people state that they have been able to make
>mozilla and netscape work on the same machine, but I was wondering if
>anyone has been able to get both versions of netscape (not mozilla) to
>work.
>
>The problem seems to me, that they both want to access .netscape, but
>they have different formats for that directory.  Is there a way to make
>the old netscape use a different directory?

Hmm. How about making them really use ~/.netscape-474 and ~/.netscape-6,
and writing a script for each version which symlinks ~/.netscape to the
right place and then invokes the appropriate executable? I'm assuming
Netscape doesn't check if ~/.netscape is a real directory as opposed to
a symbolic link - if it does, then you can just rename directories as
needed.

You'd have to remember never to run both at the same time, though!

>I installed these from the .tar.gz's, not the .deb's
>
>I need this to be able to hit ssl sites under linux.

I thought Netscape 6 supported SSL with the add-on Personal Security
Manager? I don't want to actually start Netscape 6 for the same reasons
:), but grepping for SSL in my copy of Netscape 6 PR1 matches several
times in psm/doc/release_notes.html (among other places, like
components/libnkhttps.so and libnkssl.so). And I'm pretty sure Netscape
4.74 has SSL support.