Re: PON configuration

on Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 10:46:44AM -0500, Dan Hutchinson (hutchinsond@zdnetonebox.com) wrote:
> Ok, I have had a little time and now have the base Debian system installed
> on my PC.  I am trying to configure pon to dial into my company, but
> it doesn't recognize the modem.  I have an Atlantiz PCI call-waiting
> modem that claims to be compatible with Linux. I have several questions.

> 1. How do I get Debian to recognize the Atlantaz modem any HOW-To's,etc
> ..

There are several modem HOWTOS, you might try reading them.

In general, the issues are:

  - Correctly configuring the modem hardware.  This includes jumper or
    PnP settings.  If you have to mess with PnP, you're alread several
    rungs down the ladder.

  - Detecting the device on boot.  'dmesg' or /var/log/dmesg should have
    some lines like:

        Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
	ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
	ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
	ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

    ...which show detection of com ports 1-3.  Note the IRQ settings:
    1:4, 2:3, 3:4.  Yes, IRQ 4 is used twice.

  - Confirming/configuring the modem with Minicom, once it's been
    properly installed.

Start with the basics.